1. MASTER'S DEGREE IN AUDIOVISUAL TRANSLATION The XV Master's Degree in Audiovisual Translation: Localisation, Subtitling and Dubbing is a degree from the University of Cádiz organized by the Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos y Traducción (ISTRAD) and the Instituto de Lingüística Aplicada (ILA) at the University of Cádiz.
2. OBJECTIVES The main objectives of the XV Master's Degree in Audiovisual Translation: Localisation, Subtitling and Dubbing are the following:
· To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in translation techniques applied to subtitling related to the translation process itself and using the most important software.
· To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in translation techniques applied to dubbing for films related to the stages of translation, lip synchronization and the subsequent recording process.
· To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in subtitling techniques for the hard of hearing and how to use the most important software to do this.
· To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in audio description techniques for the blind related to script writing and how to use the most important software in this area. · To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in localization techniques related to the translation stage itself and the use of the most important software.
The master's degree is essentially of a practical nature and consists of 60 ECTS credits with each credit being equivalent to 25 teaching hours.
3. LANGUAGES USED The languages used in the XV Master's Degree in Audiovisual Translation: Localisation, Subtitling and Dubbing are the following: English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. Applicants can choose the pair of these five languages they wish to work with and will be given a specific study program for the desired language combination. In any case, the working language for onsite classes will be Spanish (with the exception of specific subjects).
4. LENGTH AND LEARNING PROGRAM Studies will take place during the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 academic years, choosing from either the onsite or distance (online) learning program. Students will choose the learning program (onsite or online) at the beginning of studies, but will have the option to change programs at any time during the two years of the master's. For the onsite program, students enrolling during the first registration phase between June 15 and July 10 will be given priority.
5. COMPLETING THE MASTER'S Those students who may require so for work or professional reasons may complete the master's full time in a single year (Start date: October 2018 / end of studies: September 2019).
6. ORGANIZATION The XV Master's Degree in Audiovisual Translation: Localisation, Subtitling and Dubbing is organized by the following faculty:
Dña. Marta Chapado Sánchez
Academic Committee (in alphabetical order by last name):
Dña. Marta Chapado Sánchez (Istrad)
Dña. Inés Franco Fernández (Istrad)
Dña. Rocío Márquez Garrido (Istrad)
Dra. Cristina Ramírez Delgado (Istrad)
Dra. Anne Bécart (Istrad)
7. DEADLINES FOR REGISTRATION AND ENROLLMENT There will be three periods to complete registration:
1st Registration Period: June 15 to July 10, 2018
2nd Registration Period: September 15 to October 10, 2018
3rd Registration Period: October 15 to November 10, 2018
Those interested in the course can send in their registration form during any of the registration periods. Registration can be done via the registration form availableat, or directly at the offices of the Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos y Traducción (Monday through Thursday between 9:00 am and 2:30 pm and from 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm and Friday between 9:00 am and 1:30 pm). Once the registration period is over, the students selected for the course will be notified of their admission via email, and the necessary documentation for enrollment will be sent via email.
8. ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS In order to complete the enrollment process for the XV Master's Degree in Audiovisual Translation: Localisation, Subtitling and Dubbing you will need:
· To complete the pre-registration process within the time period given and be accepted to the course, in accordance with the previous paragraph.
· Possess a university degree. Degrees from foreign universities will also be accepted.
9. MODE OF STUDIES The XV Master's Degree in Audiovisual Translation: Localisation, Subtitling and Dubbing can be completed onsite or online.
10. ADVISORS Once students have been accepted and have enrolled in the program, they will receive an email with information regarding the academic advisors assigned to each module (belonging to the professional or academic sector of audiovisual translation) who they may seek help from for any question or problem related to their studies. Additionally, both the Academic Coordinator and supporting Academic Staff will always be available at ISTRAD for any consult (onsite, by phone or email) related to their professional work in translation or for anything related to their activity outside the master's.
11. COURSE START DATE Classes for both the onsite and online modes for the master's will begin on October 2, 2018 (the course presentation will be October 1), and run uninterrupted throughout the academic year.
12. MODULES See link Modules..
13. PRACTICAL PHASE The practical phase, which consists of a total of 15 ECTS credits, will consist of two parts:
Practical Module (9 ECTS credits). To complete this module, students may choose from the following three (3) options:
Offsite Project. Complete a practical project in the field of Translation offsite. This module must be done offsite and will take place between March and June, 2020.
Internship. This option consists of students completing an internship in a translation agency or company, assigned by the master's administration and based in the city and country of the student’s choosing. The internship will carry a workload of approximately 225 hours. This module must be done onsite and will take place between January and September, 2020.
Recognition of Work Activity, prior accreditation will be required.
Final Project - TFE (6 ECTS credits). To complete this option, students may choose from the following two (2) options:
End of Master's Project. This option is based on students completing a research project in any of the topics taught throughout the master's or any other branch related to Translation and Interpretation. This option will be supervised by a research advisor (university research bodies) and will take place between December 2019 and June 2020.
Practical Module Report. This option is based on students completing a detailed explanatory report about the activity completed for the Practical Module.
14. VIDEOTUTORIALS For both the onsite and online modes, students will have access to one or more videotutorials for each module that will graphically and dynamically explain the information related to the content of some of the programs students will be working with. This will be especially interesting when receiving the materials related to downloading and running a software program, etc.
15. ACCESS TO THE SPANISH SOCIETY OF MODERN LANGUAGES ASSOCIATION All master's degree students will be offered the opportunity to become members of the Spanish Society of Modern Languages Association (www.lenguasmodernas.com) with a free Professional Profile for the duration of the two years of study until September 30, 2020. Professional Profile members of the association will have access to the following features: 1) access to updated job offers in Translation, Interpretation and Modern Language Teaching, 2) a monthly newsletter with interviews with professionals and companies in the field, news about the latest publications and conferences being held, 3) access to a large number of electronic resources, links to glossaries and other links organized by language combination and subject matter, 4) circulation of CV and presence in our database of professionals, 5) access to free webinars, training lessons and other activities organized by the association.
16. PREPARATION FOR THE SWORN TRANSLATOR-INTERPRETER EXAM During their studies, registered students will have the opportunity to participate in one (1) of the four training courses offered by ISTRAD in preparation for the Sworn Interpreter exam administered by the Spanish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation (MAEC). This additional course is completely voluntary and optional and will be completed online within a year from gaining access to the first lesson. Students enrolled in the master's program will pay 75 euros, 25% of the total cost of the course, for platform maintenance. If, once the scheduled deadline is reached, the student needs an extended period of time, he or she may request an extension of six additional months provided that the student supplies justification and receives assessment from the Academic Committee.
17. AWARDING OF POSTGRADUATE DEGREES Following the conclusion of studies, the Academic Committee of the Master's Degree in Translation will personally award the following documents:
·Degree for the Master's in Audiovisual Translation: Localisation, Subtitling and Dubbing, awarded by the University of Cádiz. The reverse side of the certificate gives detailed information regarding the various modules studied.
·Transcript of records of the student's performance in each of the modules studied (both certificates and modules).
·A detailed report of the tasks completed and grade achieved for the practical component of the course, along with the corresponding accredited certificate for completing the studies.
·Certificate describing the equivalence for each module in ECTS credits.
18. REGISTRATION FEES AND PAYMENT PLAN
The total cost of the master's degree, 1720 euros, can be paid all at once or in four installments in the following way:
|Modalidad a tiempo completo|
|Enrollment in program||430,00 euros|
|February 2019||430,00 euros|
|May 2019||430,00 euros|
|September 2019||430,00 euros|
|Modalidad a tiempo parcial|
|Enrollment in program||430,00 euros|
|May 2019||430,00 euros|
|November 2019||430,00 euros|
|May 2020||430,00 euros|
This price corresponds to the public prices at the University of Cádiz (1600 euros) plus 120 euros for maintaining the Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos y Traducción’s virtual platform.
19. PROLONGING STUDIES Those students who for work, professional or personal reasons require more than the planned two years to finish their studies may request an extension of one or two additional semesters. Students interested in being granted this extra time must request it by September 15, 2020.
20. PROFESSIONAL ORIENTATION COURSE Once the master's degree has been completed, students will have the opportunity to attend a course entitled “Professional Orientation and Entrepreneurship for Translators”, which will begin immediately after the studies. The course will be offered both online and on-site with a duration of fifty (50) hours, where students will receive guidance on how to begin their professional career. The course will be adapted to the current legal and labor situation of the country or the cultural environment in which the student finds themselves. This additional course is completely voluntary and optional and will be completed online within a year from gaining access to the first lesson. Students enrolled in the master's program will pay 75 euros, 25% of the total cost of the course, for platform maintenance. Students will also have one year to complete the course with the possibility of requesting a 6-month extension.
21. CONSULTATION TIMES The consultation times for the two academic years of study will be Monday through Thursday from 9 am to 2:30 pm and 3:30 pm to 6 pm and Friday from 9 am to 1:30 pm Friday onsite at the offices of the Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüisticos y Traducción or by calling +34 954 61 98 04. Both administrative and academic queries will be dealt with during this time. Students can also send queries to the following addresses at any time:
Direction, Coordination and Administration firstname.lastname@example.org / (0034) 954 22 37 16
Technical and IT assistance email@example.com / (0034) 954 22 37 16
Tutorials firstname.lastname@example.org / (0034) 954 61 98 04
22. INFORMATIONAL BROCHURE The master's administration will publish these guidelines in an explanatory brochure and poster in June, 2018.