1. MASTER'S IN AUDIOVISUAL TRANSLATION (Academic Year 2023-2024)The 20th edition of Master's in Audiovisual Translation is a program from Universidad a distancia de Madrid (UDIMA) organized by the Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos y Traducción - ISTRAD.
2. OBJECTIVESThe following are the main objectives of the 20th edition of Master's in Audiovisual Translation:
· To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in translation techniques applied to subtitling related to the translation process itself and using the most important software.
· To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in translation techniques applied to film dubbing related to the translation process itself as well as synchronization and the post-production process.
· To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in subtitling techniques for the hard of hearing and how to use the most important software.
· To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in audio description techniques for the blind related to script writing and how to use the most important software.
· To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in localization techniques related to the translation stage itself and the use of the most important software.
The master's is essentially of a practical nature and carries a course load of 60 ECTS credits, with each credit being equivalent to 25 teaching hours.
3. LANGUAGES USEDThe 20th edition of Master's in Audiovisual Translation allows students to freely choose their desired language combination from the following options:
- Source language: English, French, German, Spanish or Italian.
- Target language: English, French, German, Spanish (Spain variant), Spanish (Latin American variant) or Italian.
Of these languages, applicants can choose the pair they wish to work with and will be given a specifically designed study program for the desired combination. We always recommend applicants have a high level of knowledge in the source language and culture and a complete mastery of the target language and culture. For this reason, it is ideal for applicants to choose their native language as their desired target language. If your native language is not included in this list, we recommend choosing the language you best express yourself in as your target language.
The recommended language level is the equivalent of a B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) in the source language (English, French, German, Spanish or Italian) and the equivalent of a C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) in the target language (English, French, German, Spanish or Italian) for those students who translate to a language other than their native language.
Once the program has begun, students will have the option to add a second or third language combination which can be chosen from the languages listed above.
With regard to the language for the materials for the program, in the online modality, students can freely choose from English, French, German, Spanish (Spain variant) or Italian, which will preferably be their native language. In the onsite modality as well as the webinars given by professors, however, sessions will primarily be held in Spanish.
4. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTSTo complete the 20th edition of Master's in Audiovisual Translation students must have access to a computer (with the Windows operating system, since that is the system compatible with the software that will be used throughout the master’s), a pair of headphones and a microphone (a computer microphone will do in the case of a laptop) as well as a secure and stable Internet connection.
5.1 Onsite Modality. The 2023-2024 academic year will be held onsite, with classes begin held at Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos y Traducción headquarters in Sevilla. The onsite Studies will be held two to three days a week and students will receive a definitive schedule before classes have begun.
This modality will have a quota of between 25 and 50 students. If the minimum number of applications is not reached (25 applicants) during the first enrollment period between 15 April and 10 May, only the online modality will take place; and if the number of applicants exceeds the maximum number of places offered (50 applicants), applicants will take an entrance exam consisting of a translation, language, reading comprehension and written test.
Students who choose this modality must have schedule availability to participate in all sessions as attendance will be mandatory. If students cannot attend regularly, they will always have the option of switching to distance learning.
Classes for the onsite modality will primarily be taught in Spanish, with some exceptions according to target language, and students must have a laptop computer, headphones and a microphone in order to participate in the sessions.
Access to the materials and tasks to be evaluated will be the exact same for students in the onsite and distance learning modalities.
5.2 Distance Modality. Those students who wish to complete the master's online may do so. This modality —with the same credit load and content as the onsite modality— is based on the study material specifically designed by the academic staff, periodically being uploaded to the virtual platform by the master's administration. The material will consist of content from each module, including detailed explanations of the software used for each of the subjects. Particular attention will be paid to programs for subtitling, subtitling for the hard of hearing and deaf, as well as audio description for the blind. The material will also give detailed instructions of all audiovisual resources on the subject of translation, model translations, lexical registers as well as an up-to-date bibliography.
Students will always be able to use free downloads of programs and/or demo versions available on the web.
In addition, along with the schedule for documentation distribution, students will have access to a virtual calendar with the dates and times for group consult sessions (virtual sessions students can attend voluntarily where they can talk to the faculty and their classmates) as well as the dates and times for the webinars that will be held throughout the course (normally coinciding with some of those in the onsite modality and, therefore, offered in Spanish, although some of these webinars will also be offered in other languages according to the students' target language).
Students will also be able to ask questions over the phone and electronically during consultation hours with different teachers and advisors in order to resolve any doubts related to the tasks and translations they have. They can also use these consults to seek help regarding the use of software, the techniques used in each module and the corrections made to their work.
6. DEDICATION TO THE MASTER'SStudies will take place during the 2023-2024 academic year. Classes for the onsite modality will take place from October 2023 to May 2024. Those who need more than the two planned semesters to complete their studies can find more information in point 18.
7. ORGANIZATIONThe 20th edition of Master's in Audiovisual Translation is organized by the following faculty:
Ms. Marta Chapado Sánchez
Academic Committee (in alphabetical order):
Dr. Marta Chapado Sánchez (ISTRAD)
Ms. Inés Franco Fernández (ISTRAD)
Dr. Rocío Márquez Garrido (ISTRAD)
Dr. Cristina Ramírez Delgado (ISTRAD)
Ms. Inés Franco Fernández
Dr. Laura María Fernández Ortega
8. DEADLINES FOR REGISTRATIONThere will be three periods to complete registration:
1st registration period: April 15 to May 10, 2023
2nd registration period: June 1 to July 10, 2023
3rd registration period: September 1 to September 30, 2023
Those interested in the course can send in their registration form during any of the registration periods. Registration can be done via the registration form available here or directly at the offices of the Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos y Traducción (Monday through Thursday from 9 am to 2:00 pm / 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm and Friday from 9 am to 1:00 pm). Students who register during the first enrollment period will be given preference when assigning spots for the onside modality as explained in point 5 of this program outline. Once the registration period is over, the students selected for the course will be notified via email and the necessary documentation for enrollment will be sent, either via email or the postal service as per the student's preference.
9. REQUIREMENTS FOR ENROLLMENTIn order to complete the enrollment process for the 20th edition of Master's in Audiovisual Translation, it is necessary:
1. To complete the registration process during the established period and to be accepted into the course, in accordance with the previous point.
2. To have a university degree, taking into account the two following notes: a) students who are still not in possession of a university degree at the time of enrollment will have until 15 November 2023 to present their degree, and b) applicants with a non-Spanish university degree can complete the master's without the need to equate their studies to a Spanish degree or translate their documentation.
With regard to language requirements, see point 3.
10. CONSULTATION TIMESOnce students have been accepted and have enrolled in the course, they will receive an email with information regarding the academic advisors assigned to each module (belonging to the professional or academic sector of audiovisual translation) who they can turn to for any question or problem related to their studies.
Additionally, both the academic coordinator and supporting academic staff will be available at ISTRAD for any consult (onsite, by phone or email) related to their professional work in translation or for anything related to their work outside the master’s program. They can be contacted via the phone numbers and email addresses listed below.
Consultation times for the duration of the program will be Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm / 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm and Friday from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm onsite at Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüisticos y Traducción (ISTRAD) headquarters or by calling +34 954 61 98 04.
During this time, any issue can be addressed and any administrative or academic questions can be answered. Students can also contact us at the following email addresses at any time:
Direction and Administration: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Coordinator: email@example.com
Technical and IT Assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vacation periods 2023:
New Year's Day: 1 January
Epiphany: 6 January
Andalusia Day: 28 February
Thursday and Easter Friday: 6 and 7 April
Seville Fair: 26 April
Worker's Day: 1 May
Corpus Christi: 8 June
Summer holidays: 1 to 25 August
Spanish National Holiday: 12 October
All Saints' Day: 1 November
Constitution Day: 6 December
Immaculate Conception Day: 8 December
Christmas Holiday: 23 December to 1 January
11. COURSE START DATEAcademic activity for the master’s in both the onsite and online modalities will begin on 10 October, 2023.
There will be a course presentation on 7 October and, notwithstanding the possibility of holding it in person, it will be streamed on our social media.
12. ACADEMIC STRUCTURE AND MODULESThe modules along with the faculty in collaboration with the 20th edition of Master's in Audiovisual Translation is organized in the following modules.
13. FINAL PHASEThe internship coordinator will contact students in order to explain the process of the master's final phase and choose from two options offered during October 2023. The final phase, which is worth a total of 20 ECTS credits, will consist of two modules:
1. Applied Module (Equivalence: 10 ECTS credits). To complete this module, students may choose from the following three (3) options:
Project. Complete a practical project in the field of Translation. This option will be completed offsite.
Internship. This option consists of students completing an internship in a translation agency or company, assigned by the master’s administration and based in the city and country of the student’s choosing, and will carry a workload of approximately 250 hours. The internship can be completed either onsite or offsite.
Work Recognition. Accreditation will be required.
2. TFM Module (Equivalence: 10 ECTS credits). To complete this module, students may choose from the following three (3) options:
Project TFM. This modality is based on students completing brief research about an aspect of their choosing or which they find most pertinent to their project, writing a report which presents the tasks completed and performing a critical analysis of these two components. This option can only be chosen if the Project option was chosen in the Applied Model.
Internship TFM. This modality is based on students completing brief research about an aspect of their choosing or which they find most pertinent to their internship, writing a report which presents the tasks completed and performing a critical analysis of these two components. This option can only be chosen if the Internship option was chosen in the Applied Module.
Work Recognition TFM. This modality is based on students completing brief research about an aspect of their choosing or which they find most pertinent to the work being recognized, writing a report which presents the tasks completed and performing a critical analysis of these two components. This option can only be chosen if the Work Recognition option was chosen in the Applied Module.
14. INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ID CARDStudents will receive an international student ID card issued by ISTRAD-ISIC at no additional cost. This card will be valid from 1 October 2023 through 30 September 2024. Throughout the month of October, instructions will be sent out on how to obtain this card, which will be managed by ISTRAD.
15. FINAL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATIONUpon completing the program, the Academic Committee for the master's will award the following personalized documents:
1. Diploma for the Master's in Audiovisual Translation awarded by the Universidad a distancia de Madrid (UDIMA). The reverse side gives detailed information regarding the various modules studied. This master's is not part of an officially recognized degree program in accordance with art 4.4 del Decreto 84/2004 del 13/Mayo de la CAM –Art. 4.4 of Decree 84/2004 of May 13 of the Community of Madrid–.
2. Certificate and detailed report of the student’s performance in each of the modules studied. These certificates list the language combinations in which the modules were completed.
3. If completed, a detailed report reflecting the activities completed and performance review during the internship, along with the corresponding accrediting certificate for the activity.
The protocol to issue this final documentation will begin once the final corrected assignment is received. Within 15 days, students will be contacted by ISTRAD administration to begin the process.
16. ENROLLMENT FEES AND PAYMENT PLANThe total cost of the master's degree, 1865 euros, can be paid in a lump sum or in five installments distributed as follows:
|Enrollment in the program||373,00 euros|
|December 2023||373,00 euros|
|March 2024||373,00 euros|
|June 2024||373,00 euros|
|September 2024||373,00 euros|
This amount corresponds to:
- Enrollment cost at Universidad a Distancia de Madrid (UDIMA): 1498 euros
- ISTRAD virtual campus maintenance: 245 euros
- ISTRAD administrative fees: 122 euros
17. REFUND POLICYIf a banking or administrative error occurs when making a payment, either the initial payment or any of the following installments, students may request a refund at any time within the ten days following making the payment. The payment will be refunded without the need for any additional paperwork.
In the case of withdrawals, students can request the amount paid be applied to the next edition of the program in which they are enrolled or any other course offered by ISTRAD up to a month after making the payment and completing enrollment. This payment will be applied as the final installment in the new program the student is going to complete.
18. EXTENDING STUDIESThose students who for work, professional or personal reasons require more than the planned two semesters to finish their studies will need to re-enroll and pay a fee corresponding to the remaining credits to complete the course.
19. SIMULTANEITY OF STUDIESAfter the course begins, students will receive an email with information about the credit transfer and simultaneity options available for the studies offered by ISTRAD. If you are interested in receiving credit for previous studies completed at ISTRAD, you can consult this information.
20. ADDITIONAL TRAININGDuring their studies, enrolled students will have the opportunity to participate in an online additional course offered by ISTRAD related to the following fields at no additional cost:
· Orthotypography and language correctionDra. Anne Bécart (ISTRAD)Dr. Aurora Centellas Rodrigo (UDIMA)Dr. Blanca Garrido Martín (Universidad de Sevilla). Christiane Limbach (Universidad Pablo de Olavide)Dr. Cristina Huertas Abril (Universidad de Córdoba)Dr. Leyre Martín Aizpuru (Universidad de Sevilla)Ms. Viviana Merola (ISTRAD)
· EntrepeneurshipMs. Camille Cartier (Traductora autónoma)Tatutrad S.L. CompanyMr. Ismael Marín Castañeda (Traductor autónomo)Dr. Rocío Márquez Garrido (ISTRAD)Ms. Silvia Nieto Cortés (Traductora autónoma)
Participation in this course is completely voluntary and optional. It will be completed online and included in the master's schedule.